This article is contributed. See the original author and article here.
Today marks the day that the latest release of Windows for IoT, Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021 has gone RTM for Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs). Windows 10 IoT Enterprise is the latest operating system offering for embedded and IoT devices. With every new release, we continue to deliver on our promise of bringing enterprise-class power, security, and manageability to the Internet of Things in addition to adding new features and capabilities, some of which are highlighted below.
This release will be available in two editions:
- Semi-Annual Channel (SAC): Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 21H2
- Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC): Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021
New Features and Capabilities in this release
There are several new features and capabilities included with Windows 10 IoT Enterprise, version 21H2. Unless otherwise noted, these features will be included in both the LTSC and SAC versions of the release.
Microsoft Edge Browser Support
Windows 10 IoT Enterprise, version 21H2, comes with in-box Microsoft Edge Browser support.
Customizable Windows Update UX
With this latest release, we are enabling you to manage your Windows update experience with genericized update message strings and screen accent colors.
Windows 10 soft real-time is a new feature with Windows 10 IoT Enterprise, version 21H2 that allows device makers to introduce soft real-time capabilities on their devices.
Check out the following documentation to learn more:
Unified Write Filter (UWF) Updates
With Windows 10 IoT Enterprise, version 21H2, there have been many improvements to the Unified Write Filter.
- Allowing UWF Swapfile (DISK Overlay) to be created and used on any volume
- Read Only Media Mode
- Full Volume Commit in Read-Only Media mode
To learn more about how to implement these new features, review Enhanced Unified Write Filter Features
Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)
Starting with Windows IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021, Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) will be available in-box for both LTSC and SAC.
GPU Compute Support
With Windows 10 IoT Enterprise, version 21H2 there is additional GPU compute support in the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) and Azure IoT Edge for Linux on Windows (EFLOW) deployments for machine learning and other compute intensive workflows.
Adding WPA3 H2E standards support
In this new release, there will be WPA3 H2E standards support for enhanced Wi-Fi security. To learn more, view Faster and more secure Wi-Fi in Windows
Where to learn more?
- You can learn more about the Windows 11 IoT Enterprise and Windows Server IoT 2022 releases in our recent blogs here and here
- Be sure to check out what the IoT teams are going to discuss at Ignite next week. You can still register for free.
- To understand the key difference between Windows 10 IoT Enterprise, version 21H2 and Windows 11 IoT Enterprise, visit the Fall 2021 Release guide.
- Please contact a Windows IoT distributor for more information.
Brought to you by Dr. Ware, Microsoft Office 365 Silver Partner, Charleston SC.