This article is contributed. See the original author and article here.
Earlier this week,15 surgeons from across the globe undertook 12 mixed reality-support holographic surgery operations as part of a 24-hour Microsoft-hosted online event in collaboration with AP-HP group hospitals.
These surgeries with real-life footage during the 24-hour event demonstrated how mixed reality technologies such as Dynamics 365 Remote Assist on the HoloLens 2 have tremendous potential to greatly enhance how surgeons operate, enrich the learning experiences of doctors, and ultimately improve patient outcomes. Through a custom app, surgeons were able to interact with anatomical images of their patients in holograms projected in real time in the operating room as well as have critical access to interactive tutorials during the surgeries.
In parallel to the surgeries, specialists from the hospitals, surgeons, partners, customers, public health and patients from all over the world participated in diverse roundtables and interviews to share about their own first-hand experiences with mixed reality.
Want to discover how Microsoft technologies can positively impact healthcare and be the new standard of healthcare collaboration in operating room? Read more in the Microsoft Innovation Stories article: HoloLens project enables collaboration among surgeons worldwide | Innovation Stories (microsoft.com)
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella also tweeted about the immense power and potential of mixed reality in healthcare – indeed, it has “never been more important” to expand access to healthcare, and mixed reality is truly empowering people around the world to “transcend space” to collaborate globally”: Satya Nadella on Twitter: “At a time when expanding access to healthcare has never been more important, it’s fantastic to see how surgeons around the world are using mixed reality to transcend space, in order to collaborate with colleagues and improve patient care.” / Twitter
The event also spotlighted our global healthcare ecosystem of partners and customers who have helped healthcare organizations worldwide to deploy D365 Remote Assist on HoloLens 2, enabling surgeons and clinicians to be more productive and get critical real-time support with 3D annotations from remote subject matter experts during critical times of need.
- 15,000 viewers from 130 countries took part in this unique experience
- 12 holographic surgeries
- 15 roundtables and live interviews with 20 exclusive guests
- 20 partners involved
- 70+ health experts from all around the world joined the adventure as speakers.
- Key speakers included:
- Tom McGuinness – Corporate Vice President Healthcare, Microsoft
- Elena Bonfiglioli – Managing Director Health & Lifescience EMEA, Microsoft
- Charlie Han – Product Lead HoloLens , Microsoft
- Charles Calestroupat – Public Sector Lead , Microsoft France
- Martin Hirsch – General director AP-HP (France)
- Cyrille Isaac-Sibille – Deputy & Member of the Social Affairs Commission, French National Assembly (France)
- Dr. James Kinross – Consultant Surgeon and Senior Lecturer – Imperial College London (U.K)
- Pr. Igor Sauer – Head of experimental Surgery – Charité Hospital (Germany)
- Dr. Robert L. Hannan – Director of the Cardiovascular Surgery Innovation Laboratory, Nicklaus Children’s Health System (U.S.)
- H.E. Dr. Amin Hussain Al Ameeri – Assistant Undersecretary of Health Policy and License in the Ministry of Health and Prevention (United Arab Emirates)
- H.E. Saaid Amzazi – Minister of Education, Vocational Training, Higher Education and Scientific Research (Morocco)
- Pr. Thomas Gregory – Head of Orthopedic & Traumatology Department, Avicenne Hospital, AP-HP (France)
- Dr. Gao Yujia – Associate consultant for hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgery, NUHS (Singapore)
- Key speakers included:
Worldwide Social Impact
The tweets below are just a glimpse of the event buzz from around the world:
Missed the event? Catch all the recordings on demand below:
Want to explore using mixed reality in your organization?
Check out this form to connect with a Microsoft representative to find out how mixed reality can help your business.
Already using mixed reality solutions in your healthcare organization and want to share your story with the world?
Submit your story pitch at https://aka.ms/MRGuestBloggers today!
Brought to you by Dr. Ware, Microsoft Office 365 Silver Partner, Charleston SC.