This article is contributed. See the original author and article here.
Greetings, Azure enthusiasts and PostgreSQL pros! As November draws to a close, we’re excited to unveil the latest enhancements to Azure Database for PostgreSQL Flexible Server. This month, we’ve rolled out a suite of features that bolster your database’s security, optimize storage scalability, and streamline the migration process, among other improvements. Join us as we delve into these November highlights that are set to elevate your Azure PostgreSQL experience.
Feature Highlights of the Month:
Server Logs for Azure PostgreSQL Flexible Server.
Support for TLS Version 1.3 – Enhanced Connectivity Security.
Introducing Pre-Migration Validations for Single Server to Flexible Server Migration Tool.
Enhanced User and Role Migration Capabilities in Azure Postgres Flexible Server.
- Microsoft Defender support **
Server Logs for Azure PostgreSQL Flexible Server
In the November update, we have introduced a significant enhancement to the Server Logs feature for Azure Database for PostgreSQL – Flexible Server. This feature is crucial for monitoring, troubleshooting, and gaining detailed insights into your server activities. Key aspects of this updated feature include:
- Easy Enablement: Initially disabled by default, you can now easily enable / disable server logs through the Azure portal.
- Customizable Retention Period: Configure the retention period for your logs, with options ranging from 1 to 7 days.
- Convenient Log Access and Download: Once enabled and logs are generated, they can be readily accessed and downloaded from the Azure portal or via Azure CLI (command-line interfaces), providing a straightforward way to analyze server activities.
This enhanced Server Logs feature adds a layer of transparency and control, enabling you to manage your PostgreSQL Flexible Server more effectively. For more details, refer Enable, list and download server logs for Azure Database for PostgreSQL – Flexible Server.
Support for TLS Version 1.3 – Enhanced Connectivity Security
This November, we’re excited to announce the support for TLS version 1.3, the most secure and current version of the TLS protocol, for Azure Database for PostgreSQL – Flexible Server. This update is crucial in strengthening the security of client-server communications. Here’s what this enhancement entails:
- Advanced Security Protocol: By setting `ssl_min_protocol_version` to 1.3, Azure Database for PostgreSQL – Flexible Server now mandates the use of TLS 1.3 for all client connections. This ensures that the data transmitted between clients and the server is protected using the latest and most secure encryption standards.
- Improved Connection Security: TLS 1.3 not only offers enhanced security but also provides improved performance during the encryption process, making your database interactions both safer and more efficient.
With the support for TLS version 1.3, Azure Database for PostgreSQL – Flexible Server takes a significant leap forward in ensuring the highest standards of security and reliability for your database communications. For more details on this feature, please refer Azure PostgreSQL TLS versions.
Introducing Pre-Migration Validations for Single Server to Flexible Server Migration Tool
Single to Flexible server migration just got easier! We are excited to introduce the Pre-Migration Validation feature for the Single Server to Flexible Server Migration tool. After a thorough analysis of past migrations, the team identified that a considerable number of attempts faced setup-related hurdles. To tackle this, Pre-Migration Validation has been crafted to thoroughly check the readiness of both your source and target servers. The process is neatly integrated into the Azure Portal experience, offering you flexibility to:
- Validate – Examines server and database preparedness for the migration.
- Migrate – Proceeds directly to migration without prior validations.
- Validate and Migrate – Combines both steps, triggering migration only if validation passes without critical issues.
Each rule within the validation set is designed to return a status of ‘Succeeded’, ‘Failed’, or ‘Warning’, providing clear indicators of your migration path and any obstacles that may need your attention. This feature not only enhances the predictability of migrations but also significantly reduces stress by preemptively addressing potential issues. We are committed to evolving this tool, with more comprehensive validation rules in the pipeline to ensure your databases are primed for migration. For a deep dive into Pre-Migration Validations and to get started, explore our detailed documentation Pre-Migration Validations.
Enhanced User and Role Migration Capabilities in Azure Postgres Flexible Server
We’ve further upgraded the Azure Postgres Flexible Server Migration tool by adding the ability to automatically migrate users, roles, permissions, and ownerships from a Single Server to Flexible Server. Post successful migration you will observe the following:
- All users/roles from your source server have been copied to the target server.
- Database ownership and its associated objects are consistently maintained between the source and target servers.
- Permissions, including GRANT/REVOKE, on all database objects are identical on the target server compared to the source server.
This new feature underscores our commitment to making the transition to Flexible Server as seamless and accurate as possible. To make the most of these features, please refer to our customer guide.
Microsoft Defender support
In our ongoing effort to enhance database security, we are proud to introduce Microsoft Defender for Cloud support for Azure Database for PostgreSQL Flexible Server. This new feature brings a robust layer of security to your database operations:
- Proactive Anomaly Detection: It actively monitors unusual access and query patterns, helping to identify potential security threats before they escalate.
- Real-Time Security Alerts: On detecting any anomalous activities, the system generates comprehensive alerts. These are accessible through Defender for Cloud’s security alerts page and provide essential details about the detected threats.
- Guided Resolution Steps: Each alert is accompanied by recommended actions for investigating and mitigating the threat, thereby enabling quick and effective resolution.
- Integration with Microsoft Sentinel: For deeper security analysis, the feature offers seamless integration with Microsoft Sentinel, expanding your capabilities for managing database security.
This feature represents a significant step forward in safeguarding your databases against evolving cyber threats and ensuring a secure environment for your critical data on Azure.
** this feature is scheduled to be available in December.
Ignite Feature Spotlight: Azure Database for PostgreSQL Flexible Server Enhancements
This November, Microsoft Ignite unveiled several exciting enhancements to Azure Database for PostgreSQL Flexible Server, solidifying its position as an enterprise-ready, fully managed PostgreSQL service. Here is a snapshot of the key features announced:
- Postgres 16 Support: Now generally available, Flexible Server supports PostgreSQL 16, providing users with the latest database features and improvements. Learn more about Postgres 16 in Flexible Server.
- Near-Zero Downtime Scaling: Scale your compute and storage resources with less than 30 seconds of downtime, enabling more dynamic adjustment to workload demands. Discover Near Zero Downtime Scaling.
- pgvector 0.5.1 Support: General availability of pgvector 0.5.1 allows for storing AI-generated embeddings and performing similarity searches, enhancing AI (ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE) capabilities within the database. Explore pgvector in Azure Database for PostgreSQL.
- New Extensions – azure_storage & tds_fdw: Load and export data between Azure storage and PostgreSQL with the azure_storage extension. Access Microsoft SQL data seamlessly within PostgreSQL using tds_fdw. Learn about Postgres extension support.
- Premium SSD (solid state hard drives) v2: A new storage offering supporting up to 80K IOPS (input/output per second) and 64 TB storage capacity, adjustable to workload requirements. Introducing Premium SSD v2.
- Azure_AI Extension: Integrate Azure OpenAI directly with PostgreSQL for AI-powered app development using simple SQL. Read Integration with Azure OpenAI.
- Private Link: Enhance security with Private Link, allowing private network database connections without exposure to the public internet. Using Private Link with Flexible Server.
- Multi-Region Disaster Recovery (GeoDR): Achieve high availability and disaster recovery with GeoDR, allowing failover across regions under a single virtual endpoint. Introducing Multi-Region Disaster Recovery.
- IOPS Separation for Premium SSD v1: Tailor your storage configuration to your workload’s specific IOPS and size requirements. Read Storage IOPS Separation.
- Long-Term Backup Retention: Meet compliance standards and bolster disaster recovery strategies with backup retention for up to 10 years. Explore Long-term backup retention details.
For a more in-depth exploration of these features, be sure to read the blog Azure Database for PostgreSQL: AI-Ready for Enterprise Applications in Flexible Server by @charlesfeddersenMS . This coverage provides an excellent understanding of how these features can revolutionize your PostgreSQL experience on Azure.
As we wrap up this November recap, we also find ourselves reflecting on the incredible journey throughout 2023. It’s been a year filled with substantial growth, innovation, and community engagement in the realm of Azure Database for PostgreSQL Flexible Server. Each update and enhancement we’ve shared today not only marks the progress of this month but also contributes to the cumulative advancements we’ve achieved this year.
As the holiday season approaches, we want to take a moment to express our deepest gratitude for your ongoing support and engagement. Your feedback and involvement have been instrumental in shaping the evolution of our services. On behalf of the entire Azure Postgres Team, we wish you a joyful and safe holiday season.
Happy holidays, and here’s to a new year filled with more success and breakthroughs! Stay connected with us and keep an eye on this space for more updates. We cherish your thoughts and experiences, so please don’t hesitate to share them in the comments below. Your insights are invaluable to us.
The Azure Postgres Team
Brought to you by Dr. Ware, Microsoft Office 365 Silver Partner, Charleston SC.