This article is contributed. See the original author and article here.
While there are a variety of utilities for migrating Amazon RDS for MySQL to Azure Database for MySQL, one of the easiest and most convenient ways to accomplish this is by using the MySQL Workbench Migration Wizard.
With the Migration Wizard, you can conveniently select which schemas and objects to migrate. In addition, you can view server logs to identify errors and bottlenecks in real time, edit and modify tables or database structures and objects during the migration process as necessary, and then resume migration without having to restart from scratch.
Note: You can also use the Migration Wizard to migrate other sources, such as Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, etc., but those scenarios are outside the current scope.
After signing in to MySQL Workbench, the high-level process for this migration scenario is fairly straightforward:
- Configure connection parameters for the source and database servers,
- Select the schemas and objects to migrate. You can also edit the objects you want to migrate, as necessary.
- Create the schema in the target database and run the MySQL script to create the database objects.
- Transfer data from the source instance to the target environment.
- Verify the consistency of the migrated schema and tables.
For detailed, step-by-step instructions covering this process, see the article Migrate Amazon RDS for MySQL to Azure Database for MySQL using MySQL Workbench.
If you have questions, please feel free to reach out to me or the Ask Azure DB for MySQL alias. Thank you!
Brought to you by Dr. Ware, Microsoft Office 365 Silver Partner, Charleston SC.