This article is contributed. See the original author and article here.
By Edwin Hernandez
We recently published an article with a collection of useful tools for QA/Test Engineers, highlighting tools that are sometimes overlooked or that you probably don’t know about. If you get a chance please check that list too: Collections of Useful Tools for QA/Test Engineers.
On the same lines, this time I’m writing this article geared towards Performance Test Engineers. Whenever you work with JMeter, Visual Studio, LoadRunner or any other IDE, these tools help in the areas of scripting, debugging, performance analysis, etc.
Parts of this list has been circulating inside of the Microsoft Test Team for years. An earlier version of this list was originally put together by Geoff Gray (100-level wizard of Testing if you ask me). Taking that list as starting point, I moved things around, updated old links, replaced with newer versions were applicable and added other tools I find useful and have used throughout the years. I hope you find this useful:
**There are many others text editors such as EditPad Pro, PSPad, Charny Notepad, etc. but wanted to feature at least one.
- GEOFF GRAY’s QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE
- Visual Studio Performance Testing Quick Reference Guide (Version 3.6)
- All you need to know about troubleshooting Visual Studio Web/Load Tests
- Improving .NET Application Performance and Scalability
- Best practices guide
- Biztalk Server Performance Optimization Guide:
- Latest available is for Biztalk Server 2013
Some of these may be a bit dated, but the fundamentals are still very valuable:
- NET Debugging for the Production Environment
- Channel 9 Testing:
Mark Russinovich’s Blog
- Clint Huffman’s Windows Performance Analysis Blog
- “If broken it is, fix it you should” blog
OTHER LISTS OF TOOLS
- Scott Hanselman’s Ultimate tool list:
- SoftwareQaTest list of tools (very comprehensive):
While this list includes mostly free tools, there are a few freeware or only trials. Also if you think I missed an important tool please let me know in the comments.
Brought to you by Dr. Ware, Microsoft Office 365 Silver Partner, Charleston SC.