This article is contributed. See the original author and article here.
If IIS Manager doesn’t open because of the error below, it may cause delays in maintenance and migrations.
The error message:
Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 800700b7
This issue may happen after an in-place upgrade, migration, Windows updates or any other operation that works with system libraries. There is likely a corrupted or missing system file.
There are a couple things to check if you run into this issue:
- Check Event Viewer to find out information about the root cause
- Collect Process Monitor trace and look for any failures. Don’t be surprised if everything looks good in the trace because the root cause may hide behind a SUCCESS message. Take another trace from a working server and compare them
If logs and traces don’t provide a lead, here are a few things to try (Test if IIS Manager opens successfully after each step):
- Uninstall IIS Management Tools in Server Manager and install them back
- Check if IIS Admin Service starts in Services window
- Perform iisreset
- Run aspnet_regiis -I
- Check the permissions on this folder: c:programDataMicrosoftcryptoRSAmachineKeys
Make sure Everyone has Read/Write and Administrators have all permissions
- Reinstall .NET Framework
- If nothing works, uninstall IIS and install it back
Brought to you by Dr. Ware, Microsoft Office 365 Silver Partner, Charleston SC.