This article is contributed. See the original author and article here.
Recording of the Microsoft 365 – General M365 development Special Interest Group (SIG) community call from May 27, 2021.
Latest news from Microsoft 365 engineering and updates on open-source projects: PnP .NET libraries, PnP PowerShell, modernization tooling, on yo Teams, on Microsoft Graph Toolkit, and on Microsoft Teams Samples.
Join on the Viva Connections private preview! The Microsoft Teams Toolkit v2 is now available! Looking to get started with Microsoft Teams development? Don’t miss out our Teams samples gallery! Check out the Microsoft 365 Extensibility look book gallery, and register now for June trainings on Sharing-is-caring. Recent PnP project releases include – yo Teams generator-teams (apps generator) v3.1.0 GA, v3.2.0 Preview, yo teams-build-core (gulp tasks) v1.2.0 Preview, and Microsoft Graph Toolkit v2.2.0 GA along with insights into MGT vNext.
Open-source project status:
|PnP .NET Libraries – PnP Framework||v1.4.0||Prepping for v1.5.0 release week of May 31|
|PnP .NET Libraries – PnP Core SDK||v1.1.0||Prepping for v1.2.0 release week of May 31|
|PnP PowerShell||v1.5.0 (just added Cmdlets for Viva Connections and Syntex)||Prepping for v1.6.0 (June)|
|Yo teams – generator-teams||Released v3.1.0 GA, v3.2.0 Preview||Preview with Viva Connections support|
|Yo teams – yoteams-build-core||v1.1.0, v1.2.0 Preview|
|Yo teams – msteams-react-base-component||v3.1.0|
|Microsoft Graph Toolkit (MGT)||v2.2.0 GA|
Additionally, 2 new Teams samples were delivered in the last 2 weeks. The host of this call was David Warner II (Catapult Systems) | @DavidWarnerII. Q&A takes place in chat throughout the call.
- Join on the Viva Connections private preview! | aka.ms/viva/connections/preview/register
- Feedback wanted: Regarding PnP PowerShell – “What if we did not return classic CSOM objects from the cmdlets?” Comments to: @erwinvanhunen.
- Register for Sharing is Caring Events:
- First Time Contributor Session – June 29th (EMEA, APAC & US friendly times available)
- Community Docs Session – May
- PnP – SPFx Developer Workstation Setup – June 17th
- PnP SPFx Samples – Solving SPFx version differences using Node Version Manager – June 24th
- AMA (Ask Me Anything) – Microsoft Graph & MGT – June 8th
- AMA (Ask Me Anything) – Microsoft Teams Dev – June
- First Time Presenter – June 30th
- More than Code with VSCode – May 27th, June 16th
- Maturity Model Practitioners – June 15th
- PnP Office Hours – 1:1 session – Register
- PnP Buddy System – Request a Buddy
- Download the recurrent invite for this call – http://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig
- Call attention to your great work by using the #PnPWeekly on Twitter.
Microsoft Teams Development Samples: (https://aka.ms/TeamsSampleBrowser)
Hello! it’s always great to see everyone on the call today. Thanks for participating.
Demos delivered in this session
Getting started with HTWOO UI – Fluent Design in HTML and CSS – an open-source community driven Fluent UI driven framework that’s just HTML, CSS and a bit of JS. Simple to use in the Microsoft 365 ecosystem, same branding as Fluent UI. Complete component library – tables, typography, avatars, icons, dialogs and more. Steps through HTWOO install – a npm package and 2 theme aware SPFx web parts. Complete documentation and samples.
Gain your users attention with the Microsoft Teams Activity Feed API – send activity notifications from both apps that live outside Teams and others (like static tabs) inside Teams, to Teams tabs, bots, chat. Uses the activity feed notification APIs in Microsoft Graph. Presenter review types of metadata on messages, requirements for sending defined activity type notifications, app registration, consent, manifest, notifications settings in Teams, etc. Then steps through the code for simple and advanced notifications.
Deep linking from List Formatting to Power Automate solution – Integrate lists, list formatting and Power Apps. Achieve similar look and feel using same SVG icons in lists and Power App. Call for list data from a Power App. Launch a Power App and send mail from within a list. Color SVG icons using fill properties in Inkscape SVG Editor. Showed using code from 2 samples in this demo.
Thank you for your work. Samples are often showcased in Demos.
Topics covered in this call
- PnP .NET library updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) @O365bert – 5:50
- PnP PowerShell updates – Erwin van Hunen (Valo Intranet) @erwinvanhunen – 8:21
- yo Teams updates – David Warner II (Catapult Systems) @DavidWarnerII – 10:00
- Microsoft Graph Toolkit updates – Nikola Metulev (Microsoft) | @metulev – 10:31
- Microsoft Teams Samples – David Warner II (Catapult Systems) @DavidWarnerII – 13:38
Additional resources around the covered topics and links from the slides.
Documentation: ABOUT HTWOO UI
Repo: HTWOO UI framework
Documentation – Send activity feed notifications to users in Microsoft Teams
Documentation – Create deep links
Graphics – Fluent UI Icon Search
Sample – Person Mail To Link
Sample – Launch Power App Button
- PnP Weekly – Episode 128 with guest Katie Swanson (Microsoft) | @kswansondesign | video | podcast
- Microsoft Teams Toolkit v2.2 | https://aka.ms/teams-toolkit
- Microsoft 365 Extensibility look book gallery | aka.ms/m365/extensibility
- Microsoft Teams Samples Gallery | aka.ms/teams-samples
- Microsoft 365 PnP Community hub | aka.ms/m365pnp/community
- Microsoft Graph Toolkit in Microsoft Learn | http://aka.ms/learn-mgt
- Viva Connections https://aka.ms/VivaConnections
- SharePoint look book
- Yo Teams video training package
- .NET Standard 2.0 version of SharePoint Online CSOM API
- Microsoft 365 community (PnP) videos | aka.ms/m365pnp-videos
- Microsoft Teams Toolkit for Visual Studio Code
- yo Teams | aka.ms/yoteams
- Video – Getting started using yo Teams | Wictor Wilén (Avanade)| @wictor
- Build a crisis management site to connect people and information
- Developer documentation | https://aka.ms/spdev-docs
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Partner Guidance – Feedback welcome
- Solution – Building a modern search experiences with SharePoint Framework web parts
- Page transformation guidance
- Page transformation videos
- Modernization scanner
- Microsoft 365 developer program site – Need to become a Tenant Admin to test look book capabilities? Get a Microsoft 365 E5 developer subscription (free tenant for 90 days)
- SharePoint Provisioning Service – Easily provision look book designs to any tenant in the world
- SharePoint Provisioning templates on Github
- PnP Provisioning Tenant Templates documentation
- SharePoint Page Transformation webcast series
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Tools
Upcoming Calls | Recurrent Invites:
- Microsoft Graph call – June 1st at 8:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/microsoftgraphcall
- SharePoint Framework call – June 3rdat 7:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/spdev-spfx-call
- SharePoint monthly call – June 8th at 8:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/sp-call
- Office add-in monthly call – June 9th at 8:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/officeaddinscall
- Adaptive Cards monthly call – June 10th at 9:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/adaptivecardscommunitycall
- M365 General Dev call – June 10th at 7:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig
- Microsoft Teams monthly call – June 15th at 8:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/microsoftteamscommunitycall
- Power Apps monthly call – June 16th at 8:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/PowerAppsMonthlyCall
- Microsoft Identity Platform – June 17th at 9:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/IDDevCommunityCalendar
General Microsoft 365 Dev Special Interest Group bi-weekly calls are targeted at anyone who’s interested in the general Microsoft 365 development topics. This includes Microsoft Teams, Bots, Microsoft Graph, CSOM, REST, site provisioning, PnP PowerShell, PnP Sites Core, Site Designs, Microsoft Flow, PowerApps, Column Formatting, list formatting, etc. topics. More details on the Microsoft 365 community from http://aka.ms/m365pnp. We also welcome community demos, if you are interested in doing a live demo in these calls!
You can download recurrent invite from http://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig. Welcome and join in the discussion. If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, feel free to provide your input as comments to this post as well. More details on the Microsoft 365 community and options to get involved are available from http://aka.ms/m365pnp.
“Sharing is caring”
Microsoft 365 PnP team, Microsoft – 28th of May 2021
Brought to you by Dr. Ware, Microsoft Office 365 Silver Partner, Charleston SC.