This article is contributed. See the original author and article here.
Today and every Wednesday Data Exposed goes live at 9AM PT on LearnTV. Every 4 weeks, we’ll do a News Update. This month is an exception, as we’re actually streaming on a Thursday. We’ll include product updates, videos, blogs, etc. as well as upcoming events and things to look out for. We’ve included an iCal file, so you can add a reminder to tune in live to your calendar. If you missed the episode, you can find them all at https://aks.ms/AzureSQLYT.
You can read this blog to get all the updates and references mentioned in the show. Here’s the June 2021 update:
We had a ton of guests on this episode, which made it a fast-paced, deeply entertaining and informative show (yes, I am biased). Let’s start with who came on and what was announced.
At Microsoft Build, Rohan Kumar announced the public preview of Azure SQL Database ledger capabilities. Jason Anderson, from the Azure SQL team, did a demo which you can view here. Jason also came on the show to tell us more about the new capabilities. For more information, you can review the documentation, announcement blog, whitepaper (must read!), and you can join us again on Data Exposed Live on June 16th for the next Azure SQL Security deep dive live. Also, a great place to learn and read about deep dive topics or updates like this one is in the SQLServerGeeks magazine run by the community. You can subscribe here. Next month, Jason is contributing a fascinating article on Ledger!
We had a special guest on the show, Kaza Sriram, from the Azure Resource Mover team which was recently released. Azure Resource Mover is built to provide customers with the flexibility to move their resources from one region to another and operate in the location that best suits their needs. With Azure Resource Mover, you can now take advantage of Azure’s growth in new markets and regions with Availability Zones and move resources including Azure SQL. You can learn more with resources including tutorials, and videos on Azure Unplugged, Azure Friday, and a whiteboarding video.
Mara-Florina Steiu, PM on the Azure SQL team, also came on the show to talk about the recent public preview release of Change Data Capture (CDC) in Azure SQL Database. Here are some references to go as deep as you desire:
Next, Pedro Lopes, PM on the SQL Server team, came on the talk about some of the latest announcements related to Intelligent Query Processing (IQP). This included the recent public preview of Query Store Hints (announcement blog here and Data Exposed episode here) and some references to demos.
Finally, related to announcements we had Alexandra Ciortea on the show again to talk more about Oracle migrations and related tooling. This included the release of SSMA 8.20 including automatic partition conversion (there is also a Data Exposed episode on this topic!), DAMT 0.3.0 including support for DB2 source databases, and DMA 5.4 with new SKU recommendations.
Other announcements include enhancements for Azure SQL Managed Instance backups, increased storage limit in Azure SQL Managed Instance (now 16 TB limit in General Purpose), Azure Active Directory only authentication for Azure SQL DB and MI, and using Azure Resource Health to troubleshoot connectivity to Azure SQL Managed Instance.
We continued to release new and exciting Azure SQL episodes this month. Here is the list, or you can just see the playlist we created with all the episodes!
- Venkata Raj Pochiraju: Migrating to SQL: Cloud Migration Strategies and Phases in Migration Journey (Ep. 1)
- Venkata Raj Pochiraju: Migrating to SQL: Discover and Assess SQL Server Data Estate Migrating to Azure SQL (Ep. 2)
- Alexandra Ciortea: Migrating to SQL: Introduction to SSMA (Ep. 3)
- Alexandra Ciortea and Xiao Yu: Migrating to SQL: Validate Migrated Objects using SSMS (Ep. 4)
- Alexandra Ciortea and Xiao Yu: Migrating to SQL: Enabling Automatic Conversions for Partitioned Tables (Ep. 5)
- [MVP Edition] with John Morehouse: Disaster Recovery for Azure SQL Databases (special Star Wars episode!)
- Joe Sack: Query Store Hints in Azure SQL Database
We’ve also had some great Data Exposed Live sessions. Subscribe to our YouTube channel to see them all and get notified when we stream. Here are some of the recent live streams.
- Deep Dive: How to set up Azure Monitor for SQL Insights
- Azure SQL Virtual Machines Reimagined: Storage (Ep. 2)
- Something Old, Something New: That’s really Deep
As always, our team is busy writing blogs to share with you all. Blogs contain announcements, tips and tricks, deep dives, and more. Here’s the list I have of SQL-related topics you might want to check out.
- Azure Blog, data-related
- Azure at Microsoft Build recap: build amazing things on your terms, anywhere, John ‘JG’ Chirapurath
- Power your business applications data with analytical and predictive insights, Kaiser Larsen
- New Azure capabilities to simplify deployment and management, Arpan Shah
- Build cloud-native applications that run anywhere, Gabe Monroy
- Harness the power of data and AI in your applications with Azure, John ‘JG’ Chirapurath
- Ground processing with space data 5x faster with Azure, Tom Keane
- A fluent new look for the Azure icon, Erin Zefkeles
- SQL Server Tech Community
- Released: General Availability of Microsoft.Data.SqlClient 3.0
- Released: Public Preview for SQL Server Management Packs (220.127.116.11)
- Released: Microsoft.Data.SqlClient 2.1.3
- Released: Microsoft.Data.SqlClient 3.0 Preview 3
- Cumulative Update #24 for SQL Server 2017 RTM
- Azure SQL Tech Community
- Introducing Change Data Capture for Azure SQL Databases (Public Preview)
- Query Store Hints Preview
- Increased storage limit to 16 TB for SQL Managed Instance General Purpose
- Azure Active Directory only authentication for Azure SQL
- Parallel backup for better performance in SQL Managed Instance General Purpose
- Security: Separation of Privilege
- Announcing Azure SQL Database ledger
- Database migration from Managed Instance to SQL Server with transactional replication
- Using data-tier applications (BACPAC) to migrate a database from Managed Instance to SQL Server
- Moving databases from Azure SQL Managed Instance to SQL Server
- Support for Azure AD user creation on behalf of Azure AD Applications for Azure SQL DB
- Azure SQL Edge now runs on Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Azure SQL Devs’ Corner
- Microsoft SQL Server Blog
- Microsoft SQL Server Linux-based container images to be available only from the Microsoft Container Registry
- Accelerate SQL Server to Azure migration with Pure Cloud Block Store
- Azure Database Support (SQL-related posts)
- Lesson Learned #173: MSDTC on server ‘xxxxx’ is unavailable
- Lesson Learned #172: ApplicationIntent=Readonly in General Purpose database tier?
- ‘Lock request time out period exceeded’ when connecting to the database from SSMS
- Troubleshooting high lock wait time and lock time-out
- Lesson Learned #171: Testing a connection from multiple PowerShell script instances
Special Segment: SQL in a Minute with Cheryl Adams
Cheryl and Mike Ray came on to do a segment on documentation focused on how to look for information using the Table of Contents. You can access the docs at https://aka.ms/sqldocs and the contributors guide at https://aka.ms/editsqldocs.
As always, there are a lot of events coming up this month. Here are a few to put on your calendar and register for from the Azure Data team:
June 6 – 11: Microsoft SQL Server and Azure SQL Conference
June 8: DevDays Europe 2021
June 25: Women Data Summit
June 29: Azure Hybrid and Multicloud Digital Event
In addition to these upcoming events, here’s the schedule for Data Exposed Live:
June 16: Azure SQL Security Series
June 23: Something Old, Something New with Buck Woody
June 30: Deep Dive: Azure Cloud Experience for Data Workloads Anywhere
Plus find new, on-demand Data Exposed episodes released every Thursday, 9AM PT at aka.ms/DataExposedyt
Featured Microsoft Learn Module
Learn with us! This month I highlighted the module: Putting it all together with Azure SQL. Check it out!
By the way, did you miss Learn Live: Azure SQL Fundamentals? On March 15th, Bob Ward and I started delivering one module per week from the Azure SQL Fundamentals learning path (https://aka.ms/azuresqlfundamentals ). Head over to our YouTube channel https://aka.ms/azuresqlyt to watch the on-demand episodes!
Anna’s Pick of the Month
This month I am highlighting the new learning path Build serverless, full stack applications with Azure. Learn how to create, build, and deploy modern full stack applications in Azure by using the language of your choice (Python, Node.js, or .NET) and with a Vue.js frontend. Topics covered include modern database capabilities, CI/CD and DevOps, backend API development, REST, and more. Using a real-world scenario of trying to catch the bus, you will learn how to build a solution that uses Azure SQL Database, Azure Functions, Azure Static Web Apps, Logic Apps, Visual Studio Code, and GitHub Actions. Davide Mauri and I streamed this live at Microsoft Build, so you can access the recording here!
Until next time…
That’s it for now! Be sure to check back next month for the latest updates, and tune into Data Exposed Live every Wednesday at 9AM PST on LearnTV. We also release new episodes on Thursdays at 9AM PST and new #MVPTuesday episodes on the last Tuesday of every month at 9AM PST at aka.ms/DataExposedyt.
We hope to see you next time, on Data Exposed :)
–Anna and Marisa
Brought to you by Dr. Ware, Microsoft Office 365 Silver Partner, Charleston SC.