This article is contributed. See the original author and article here.
To set up Copilot as an authenticated Github Student Developer, you need to follow these steps:
Setting up your GitHub Student Account
- Create a Github account: If you don’t already have one, create a Github account. GitHub account is free, so if you have not signed up yet feel free to sign up as it is a prerequisite before you can access the Student Developer Pack. https://github.com
- Verify your student status on Github: Go to the Github Student Developer Pack and verify your student status on Github: https://education.github.com/pack
There are over 100 benefits from various companies that are packed together in the GitHub students developers pack. The GitHub student’s developer pack is strictly for students. Therefore before you can access it you would prove your student identity through your school registered email domain or through an identification process for people whose school doesn’t offer school email.
The steps below are for students with school emails. If you do not have a school-dedicated email, you can still access the GitHub student developer pack by contacting GitHub Support @ support.github.com/request.
- Step 1: Visit the student developer Pack main page (education.github.com/pack)
- Step 2: Sign Up for the student developer pack
- Step 3: Select Get Student Benefit
- Step 4: Sign-in or SignUp for a GitHub account.
- Step 5: Add your school email. This process usually needs some authentication, because a code will be sent to your school email for verification.
- Step 6: Enter the name of your school
- Step 7: Answer the questions on how you plan to use GitHub.
- Step 8: On some occasions, more proof might be required. So you might need to upload either of school identity card or any other form of proof of study validity.
- Final step: Submit the application.
Submitted applications are sometimes reviewed within the hour or at most within a day. This might take slightly longer on very few occasions depending on the volume of applications received.
Setting Up CoPilot
- Connect Copilot to Github: Go to the Copilot website and log in. Then, go to the Settings section and connect your Github account to Copilot. https://copilot.github.com
Note: If you already have a Copilot account, you can simply connect your Github account and activate your Github Student Developer Pack from your Copilot account settings.
You should now be able to use Copilot with your Github Student Developer Pack benefits.
Resources from GitHub education.
GitHub Education is a program established by GitHub for students, teachers, and schools. The benefits of GitHub education to students and educators. The GitHub education has offers for students such as:
- GitHub Student Developer Pack (100s of FREE Software offers including $100 of Azure for Student Credit)
- GitHub Codespaces your instant dev environment in the cloud with 90 hours of compute time.
- GitHub Student Gallery (Platform where students showcase the projects they built with GitHub Student developer pack)
- GitHub Campus Experts (A program for students and educators who are building a student community in their schools. GitHub supports you in a lot of ways)
- GitHub Global Campus(Like the name illustrates, a global campus for students to learn and connect)
- GitHub Learning Lab (Free platform to grow your skill by completing fun and realistic projects)
Extensions for VSCode and Codespaces RECOMMENDED
GitHub Copilot Labs – Visual Studio Marketplace – GitHub Copilot Labs is a companion extension to GitHub Copilot that houses experimental and up-and-coming features in a sidebar.
GitHub Copilot – Visual Studio Marketplace – GitHub Copilot provides autocomplete-style suggestions from an AI pair programmer as you code. You can receive suggestions from GitHub Copilot either by starting to write the code you want to use, or by writing a natural language comment describing what you want the code to do.
Brought to you by Dr. Ware, Microsoft Office 365 Silver Partner, Charleston SC.