This article is contributed. See the original author and article here.
Recording of the Microsoft 365 – General M365 development Special Interest Group (SIG) community call from May 13, 2021.
Latest news from Microsoft 365 engineering and updates on open-source projects: PnP .NET libraries, PnP PowerShell, modernization tooling, on yo Teams, on Microsoft Graph Toolkit, and on Microsoft Teams Samples.
Check out the new Microsoft 365 Extensibility look book gallery, visit the Microsoft Teams samples gallery to get started with Microsoft Teams development, and register now for May trainings on Sharing-is-caring. Open-source project activity is focused on prepping for May releases in Microsoft Build time frame.
Open-source project status:
|PnP .NET Libraries – PnP Framework||v1.4.0||Bug fixes, Prepping for v1.5.0 (May)|
|PnP .NET Libraries – PnP Core SDK||v1.1.0||Bug fixes, Prepping for v1.2.0 (May)|
|PnP PowerShell||v1.5.0 (just added Cmdlets for Viva Connections and Syntex)||Prepping for v1.6.0 (May)|
|Yo teams – generator-teams||v3.0.3 GA, v3.1.0 Preview||Preview with Viva Connections support|
|Yo teams – yoteams-build-core||v1.1.0|
|Yo teams – msteams-react-base-component||v3.1.0|
|Microsoft Graph Toolkit (MGT)||v2.1.0 GA, v2.2.0 Preview||v2.2.0 planned Build release|
Additionally, one new Teams sample delivered. The host of this call was David Warner II (Catapult Systems) | @DavidWarnerII. Q&A takes place in chat throughout the call.
- Register for Sharing is Caring Events:
- First Time Contributor Session – May 24th (EMEA, APAC & US friendly times available)
- Community Docs Session – May
- PnP – SPFx Developer Workstation Setup – June
- PnP SPFx Samples – Solving SPFx version differences using Node Version Manager – May 20th
- AMA (Ask Me Anything) – Microsoft Graph & MGT – June
- AMA (Ask Me Anything) – Microsoft Teams Dev – June
- First Time Presenter – May 25th
- More than Code with VSCode – May 27th
- Maturity Model Practitioners – May 18th
- PnP Office Hours – 1:1 session – Register
- Download the recurrent invite for this call – http://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig
- Call attention to your great work by using the #PnPWeekly on Twitter.
Microsoft Teams Development Samples: (https://aka.ms/TeamsSampleBrowser)
Great to see all the faces in the community. Hopefully soon we will get to see each other in person.
Demos delivered in this session
Inspire, inform and prepare employees transition to the new hybrid Workplace transformation site – learn about the customizable SharePoint Hybrid Workplace site template (in look book) and new end user training (available on support.microsoft.com and in Microsoft 365 Learning Pathways playlists) to help customers and colleagues’ transition to a new way of working. Article insights based on customer conversations and research by Microsoft. Training categories (playlists) – meetings & collaboration, wellness and productivity, security & data protection.
Querying and Paging data with PnP Core SDK – after downloading the PnPCoreAuth package, installing and configuring the needed services, obtain the PnPContext from PnPContextFactory and start using the library. There are multiple options for querying data. PnP Core SDK Query Model options – Load*, Get*, LINQ, and Nested/hierarchical queries. PnP Core SDK Paging Model options – Implicit asynchronous paging*, Full load of data/synchronous implicit paging, and Manual paging with Take/Skip. *Preferred.
Advanced tricks for form formatting and customization – some items in a list should not show up on a form. You can delete, hide or conditionally show values (based on entries in other fields) on a form. Column and Form formatting are vastly different. Learn ways to detect what values are in the list vs what values are on the form and also how to create read only sections on a form.
Thank you for your work. Samples are often showcased in Demos.
Topics covered in this call
- PnP .NET library updates – Paolo Pialorsi (PiaSys.com) @paolopia – 4:45
- PnP PowerShell updates – Paolo Pialorsi (PiaSys.com) @paolopia – 6:35
- yo Teams updates – Paolo Pialorsi (PiaSys.com) @paolopia – 7:24
- Microsoft Graph Toolkit updates – Beth Pan (Microsoft) | @beth_panx – 8:34
- Microsoft Teams Samples – Bob German (Microsoft) @Bob1German – 9:46
Additional resources around the covered topics and links from the slides.
- Slides used in this community call
Look book (website template) – WORKPLACE TRANSFORMATION SITE
Support site – Hybrid workplace guides
Documentation – PnP Core SDK – Get Data
Documentation – PnP Core SDK – Using paging
SDK – PnP Core SDK
Code sample – PnP Core SDK Query Model sample
- PnP Weekly – Episode 126 with MVP guest D’arce Hess (TrnDigital) | @ DarceHess| video | podcast
- Microsoft 365 Extensibility look book gallery | aka.ms/m365/extensibility
- Microsoft Teams Samples Gallery | aka.ms/teams-samples
- Microsoft 365 PnP Community hub | aka.ms/m365pnp/community
- Microsoft Graph Toolkit in Microsoft Learn | http://aka.ms/learn-mgt
- Viva Connections https://aka.ms/VivaConnections
- SharePoint look book
- Yo Teams video training package
- .NET Standard 2.0 version of SharePoint Online CSOM API
- Microsoft 365 community (PnP) videos | aka.ms/m365pnp-videos
- Microsoft Teams Toolkit for Visual Studio Code
- yo Teams | aka.ms/yoteams
- Video – Getting started using yo Teams | Wictor Wilén (Avanade)| @wictor
- Build a crisis management site to connect people and information
- Developer documentation | https://aka.ms/spdev-docs
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Partner Guidance – Feedback welcome
- Solution – Building a modern search experiences with SharePoint Framework web parts
- Page transformation guidance
- Page transformation videos
- Modernization scanner
- Microsoft 365 developer program site – Need to become a Tenant Admin to test look book capabilities? Get a Microsoft 365 E5 developer subscription (free tenant for 90 days)
- SharePoint Provisioning Service – Easily provision look book designs to any tenant in the world
- SharePoint Provisioning templates on Github
- PnP Provisioning Tenant Templates documentation
- SharePoint Page Transformation webcast series
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Tools
Upcoming Calls | Recurrent Invites:
- Microsoft Teams monthly call – May 18th at 8:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/microsoftteamscommunitycall
- Power Apps monthly call – May 19th at 8:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/PowerAppsMonthlyCall
- SharePoint Framework call – May 20th at 7:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/spdev-spfx-call
- Microsoft Identity Platform – May 20th at 9:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/IDDevCommunityCalendar
- M365 General Dev call – May 27th at 7:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig
- Microsoft Graph call – June 1st at 8:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/microsoftgraphcall
- SharePoint monthly call – June 8th at 8:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/sp-call
- Office add-in monthly call – June 9th at 8:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/officeaddinscall
- Adaptive Cards monthly call – June 10th at 9:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/adaptivecardscommunitycall
General Microsoft 365 Dev Special Interest Group bi-weekly calls are targeted at anyone who’s interested in the general Microsoft 365 development topics. This includes Microsoft Teams, Bots, Microsoft Graph, CSOM, REST, site provisioning, PnP PowerShell, PnP Sites Core, Site Designs, Microsoft Flow, PowerApps, Column Formatting, list formatting, etc. topics. More details on the Microsoft 365 community from http://aka.ms/m365pnp. We also welcome community demos, if you are interested in doing a live demo in these calls!
You can download recurrent invite from http://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig. Welcome and join in the discussion. If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, feel free to provide your input as comments to this post as well. More details on the Microsoft 365 community and options to get involved are available from http://aka.ms/m365pnp.
“Sharing is caring”
Microsoft 365 PnP team, Microsoft – 14th of May 2021
Brought to you by Dr. Ware, Microsoft Office 365 Silver Partner, Charleston SC.